Tuesday, February 23, 2010

Rest. Renew.

This is an ode to vitamin c.



I find myself on day 2 of recovery from a little bout of illness that suggested I slow down. It just so happened that I had two days off in a row, so things actually worked out rather nicely.
I try to pride myself in being a fairly healthy person. I exercise pretty regularly, I am conscious of my food intake, I shop as organic and local as possible, and I drink a LOT of tea.
However, all things considered there were signs that this period of rest was coming. First, during my last visit to my parents home my mother was clearly fighting a case of bronchitis. Second, the entire weekend I had a feeling that something was a little off and that I might be coming down with something and I unfortunately ignored the signs. Third, during the weekends I don't tend to get enough sleep. Fourth and probably the biggest factor, Sunday I worked for several hours cleaning at my job, playing nonstop with dust and windex.
Now I've got the sneezles and a couple of other sick signs that have me taking a nap and movie vacation.
The perks: more juice than I consume in a week and lots of yummy soup.
The reality: I am lucky. I magically had two days off and there is nothing wrong with spending this time with myself and my body.
I find that along with feeling under the weather there's a little negative voice inside of us that wants us to emotionally feel bad for slowing down.
Still, I have taken my time practicing gratitude and have no worries that life will return to it's usual pace shortly.
I am grateful for my health regardless of any bad weather. This too shall pass and I find that these days illness just isn't as bad as it used to be.
I think the trick is listening to the body and not that little negative voice.

Location:Home

No comments: